Friday, May 13, 2011

Capital Hip Hop Soul: Hip-Hop's Jade Fox (@JadeFox410)

Jade Fox has heard it all before. She knows she doesn't look like a hip-hop artist. But, that's all good in her book. Learn about this local hip-hop lyricist who talked with us for a few to give us the dish on why she is an artist, what she would do if she couldn't make music and something that few people know about her.

Jade is one of the many artists we feature in our Capital Hip Hop Soul series, inspired by our annual Capital Hip Hop Soul Festival that returns in 2012.

Liberated Muse: You have quite a following in the DMV. Tell us why you think people connect to your music and what sets you apart from those who might perform within your genre.

Jade Fox: The obvious answer to what tends to set me apart from other performers in hip hop is that I'm a female mc that is a true lyricist and my look which is of African American and Korean decent which isn't common in the genre.  I constantly get the whole, "you don't look like a rapper thing" but it works in my favor in that it makes my face memorable and stand out from the pack.  One of the best things I love is that the music itself is very much received as it's own sound. Many listener's initial reactions are that it's refreshing and a breath of fresh air.  Also, the live show with my band is a highly energetic and entertaining experience.  The goal is to bring a true concert experience for a local, independent show price.       


I definitely feel people are able to connect with the music because it literally is me putting my thoughts, emotions, confessions, and life on the track.  I know I prefer hearing about something I can personally relate to, rather than money, cars, etc. I don't have. The truth is the truth, you can try and ignore it, but it can't be denied. 

Liberated Muse: What have been some of the challenges and highlights of being an independent artist?
Jade Fox: One extreme challenge is the money factor. There is no record company putting up funds for studio time, for packaging, promotions and marketing, etc.  It's a lot of out of pocket expense just to get a product out there.  If you need instant gratification than you will not survive as an independent artist.

Faith is personally my best friend in pursuing music as a career. Being an independent female artist presents another additional challenge.  I think a lot of times a female doesn't get as much respect or is taken seriously in a business sense.  I'm definitely not a mogul or anything like that (yet) but I do take pride in handling my business and I think other artists have taken notice to it.  When you're an independent artist you have to wear all hats and really have the mind frame that it won't get done if you don't do it yourself.  In my opinion, the greatest joy of being an independent artist is having full creative control over the music.  I don't have to worry about someone telling me to change anything in my songs or what type of songs I should be trying to make. The music is passionate, uncontrolled, and a direct reflection of me, not a product created to cater to certain demographics or sound like something else. 


Liberated Muse: If you couldn't perform tomorrow and you had to change careers, what would you turn your efforts toward?
Jade Fox: I would definitely make an effort to make it as a writer.  I love working with singers and hearing them transform my words and melodies into something beyond my vision so I would pursue being a song writer for others or maybe even writing some novels. I have too much imagination in my head to not continue doing something creatively.   

Liberated Muse: Name three artists you would love to work with and tell us why.
Jade Fox: First I have to say I love working with Delano Dutch, Nic Richards, H.I. and Billy Dangerous.  Those are my band members and I feel like we have something special in the works and that our potential as a unit will soon be realized.  I also have a deep appreciation for all the producers I work with. 

As far as artists that are known to the mass public, I have always wanted to work with Lauryn Hill.  I feel there's still a creative genius there, but the industry has just pushed her the wrong way.  I would love to try my hand on a Kanye West track, and would make it a mission to kill the beat.  I would also love to work with Sade.  I love her whole vibe and I think we would compliment each other on a track.  Something mellow and sensual, I'm already starting to hear something in my head just thinking about it.

Liberated Muse: How do you think music can change the world for the better?
Jade Fox: Music has such a powerful influence on people but the question is what type of influence is it choosing to project. Music can be soothing to the soul, and also empowering for the human spirit.  It can make someone momentarily dance their pain away or give them reason to exhale when life is suffocating them.  So music can change the world for the better just by allowing people to relate to whatever is necessary at that given time for that given song they choose to listen to. Music is also a great vehicle to reach the youth, it's just too bad they are sometimes exposed to and take in the wrong messages. 


Liberated Muse:
Tell us something that probably few people know about you.
Jade Fox: I think you can listen to my lyrics and tell that I'm a pretty intense writer. It's definitely a necessary release that I believe keeps me sane.  When I was around twelve I stopped writing for years.  I had a book of poetry that was found and as a result of it, I was sent to a psychologist.  I only had one visit with her and she thought I was okay and simply stated I was a gifted writer who found the right outlet.  However, at that point I then associated writing as something that was bad because I got forced to get my head checked out.  I think it was like 4 years I refused to write anything outside of papers for school.  But as God would have it, I found the courage and my way back to embracing what I believe is a gift that was given to me.  .   


The latest news, music, and information on Jade Fox can be found at www.jadefoxmusic.com
www.cdbaby.com/jadefox
www.itunes.com/jadefox
www.youtube.com/jadefox410
www.facebook.com/jadefox410

-Khadijah Z. Ali-Coleman

No comments: