Monday, April 30, 2012

Poem of the Day: Man of Rivers by Valijeane Jeffers

Man of Rivers (for Quinton Veal)

Let my breath
wash your broad face
pool in your sepia collarbone
anoint your bread

As you taste
catch the crumbled pieces
mixed with tears
hold them tight
in your calloused palms

vows and roads
are etched in water
I float
‘neath southern moons
in your embrace

murmur lust’s syrup and life
near my heartbeat
and I’ll crone swollen,
dripping peaches
sing forever to your soul

And let our cry be ripened by
the dark Mississippi…

My Man of rivers

Copyright Valjeanne Jeffers 2009 all rights reserved

Poem of the Day is a spotlight on Liberated Muse poets found on our site LiberatedMuse.com. This is a celebration of April as National Poetry Month.  Find all featured poets on LiberatedMuse.com

No comments: