|Kelly Miller Middle school winners with their "My Life is Free"|
In 2009, I had the pleasure of working with students from Kelly Miller Middle School in DC, helping them craft poetry into songs. They performed and competed in a regional competition against other middle-schoolers, and the kids I taught won first place! The experience was great, only an hour two days a week and an opportunity to bring arts to some of the area's most at-risk youth. I recommend it for anyone who is a songwriter, musician and committed to uplifting our kids. Here is the call for artists below. Apply to the email address below. Peace, Moon
DC SCORES builds teams through after-school programs for over 800 DC youth at 27 schools by instilling self-expression, physical fitness, and a sense of community. For people who believe in a well-rounded childhood, DC SCORES is the quality, team-based approach providing youth with the arts, athletics, and academics that will engage, enrich, and improve their lives. DC SCORES accomplishes this in an innovative model combining poetry and spoken word, soccer, and service-learning year-round. We have worked with over 6,000 students since our founding in 1994 and we aim to serve EVERY child in the District deserving of a team who does not have one. DC SCORES is an affiliate of America SCORES, with organizations in 14 cities.
This season our young people have been led by their writing coaches (teachers) through a curriculum filled with poetry and song writing lessons. As a music specialist you will be assisting them as they turn their writing into three group performance pieces to be performed at our city-wide Poetry Slam! November 30th and December 1st.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Lead eight- 60 minute sessions with middle school students.
- Collaborate with DC SCORES staff and coaches to implement the program and supervise students.
- Plan and conduct song writing workshops with students using their songs/poems already written to create three polished performance pieces.
- Provide opportunities for each student to demonstrate work and have a part/voice in the performance.
- Bring or create the music for the performance pieces.
- Collaborate with DC SCORES coaches to prepare students to perform their music at the Poetry Slam!.
· Provide DC SCORES with a verbal/written summary of each session, a copy of students work, and a copy of the music on a CD.
· Provide DC SCORES with a background check and TB test prior to October 13th.
Dates of Employment:
October 18th – November 18th, 2011
Location(s)/Days/Times (choose one):
All sessions are from 3:45 – 4:45pm
- Cesar Chavez PCS-Parkside Campus – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Lincoln Middle School – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Johnson Middle School – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Kelly Miller Middle School – Tuesdays and Thursdays
- MacFarland middle School – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Oyster-Adams Bilingual School – Mondays and Wednesdays
Compensation: The Music Specialist will be paid $50 per session and an additional $100 for the performance of the three students’ songs.
If you are interested in applying or learning more contact Katrina Hochstetler, Program Director, at email@example.com.