Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Liberated Muse Community Poem #1: 'Sacred Outpouring'

As an online artist community, you'd think we would have done this sooner, but, as they say, better now than never. On July 4th, I thought it would be interesting to begin our first community poem about the concept of independence and freedom. The instruction was not to assume that freedom has to mean only one thing or be about one event. Members were encouraged to be creative. I, along with members Margaux Delotte-Bennett, Chenyelu Bomani, Colie Williams, Ancient Tradition and Tony Spires created the poem below. I chose the name "Sacred Outpouring". Read the genesis of the poem and join LiberatedMuse.com to join our next one. Each poem will be included in our upcoming anthology, volume II in our series-- "Betrayal Wears a Pretty Face".

Sacred Outpouring


On hills overlooking battle,
eyes forsee a vision unseen before

Combined whispered spells;
Wedded to a mystic song,
Being sung by old and young.

"Freedom isn't free," he said to me
"Are you ready for the battle that your dream will require?
You will be lifted high and sadness will consume you.
Is Freedom worth the sacrifice that your soul longs for?"

I watched a quilt of unity blanket those present
As voices merged, patterns of love infinite sprung forth.

"I am ready," I said.

Why should I sacrifice for my GOD given right, Freedom?
"Give me liberty or give me death."
No! I say, give me liberty or you die!

Don't just stand upon life's edge,
Immerse, immerse from toe to head.
Winter's snow brings heavy loads
Stripping the greenest of trees,
Sunbeams mark the seasons decreed...

Through walls of granite, carve Freedom's road.
Spirit voices on high swallowing eardrums,
Whispering choral harmonies into souls' hiding places:

"Know thyself,
Learn love,
Bring perfect peace,
Redefine freedom,
Your birthright... Reclaim it!

First nature...
Before ancestors' conception,
Older than the beginning.
begun of old
beaten and broken into a freedom song
cried out at times when there was nothing but wrong
and hope stood silently in the shadows
but in standing
turned my song
into a yowl
a sacred outpouring of sound
released

1 comment:

seasidejimmy said...

I just posted a "second" verse to the second community poem and didn't realize till afterward that
Chenuelu had beaten me to the 2nd verse by 10 hours. Sorry!
Seaside Jimmy DiLorenzo